Caring for your braces
For the most part, braces and Invisalign aligners are invincible, but only if you take proper care of them. At Caswell Orthodontics, when we fit you with your orthodontic appliance, whether it’s a type of brace or your custom-made Invisalign aligners, we’ll also show you the best ways to clean and care for your teeth.
It is really important you do so because proper brace care contributes to great results!
9 Top tips for brace care
- If you must chew gum, only chew small or half pieces of sugar free gum.
- Avoid hard, chewy candy (i.e. caramels, Jolly Ranchers).
- When eating raw produce, such as apples, cut it into small bite size pieces and chew with your back teeth.
- Surprisingly, hard or chewy pizza crust can be problematic, so if you’re sitting down to a meal of pizza, make sure you cut it into small pieces. You’ll enjoy it a whole lot more if your braces don’t break.
- Do not chew on ice cubes. If anything, you may chew on crushed or shaved ice.
- Avoid nuts, biscotti, and hard crusts in general.
- If you’re a nail biter or like to chew on the end of a pencil, break these habits now as they will cause your appliance to break.
- Be careful not to hit your brackets with your toothbrush while brushing your teeth.
- If you eat popcorn, floss immediately after. Kernels can wedge between gums and cause infection.
- If you are about to eat something that you are unsure whether or not it may cause damage, be very cautious or just avoid eating it all together.
A broken appliance is an orthodontic emergency as it can delay your treatment time and affect the movement of your teeth. If you notice a band, archwire, or bracket has loosened or broken off the tooth surface, contact us immediately so we can schedule a repair appointment as soon as possible.
Book your free consultation
At Caswell Orthodontics, your first appointment is free. So book your free consultation and find out how you could benefit from orthodontic treatment.